Monday, September 22, 2008

Creation and Evolution

My heart feels heavy this morning. Last night I had two conversations with two different people about evolution and creation. The conversations were completely unrelated even though they happened only about an hour apart. The first was with a good friend who is a Christian and believes in what he termed the "long-day" view of Genesis chapter 1. The reasoning behind this being that there is so much "evidence" for evolution that it insults our intelligence (God gave us brains to use them after all) to ignore it and who are we to limit how God can create. That was a fascinating conversation but because we held common ground it wasn't without hope.
The second conversation was with the same man that I had my conversation with a week or so ago and that conversation felt completely devoid of hope. Not hope that I will argue him to my way of thinking...never that. But missing the hope that he will ever see the truth of who Jesus is. He thinks that to believe in the Bible is to throw all science out the window and that any science done by someone who believes in the Bible or a young earth is fluff. And I know that no matter what young earth science I show him he won't believe it, but that's because that's not the real issue. If the Bible is false from the beginning, then even though you may believe in "God" there is no personal responsibility, there is no "sin" or need for a Savior.
But where is my hope if the Bible is not true? Yes, there is a God, who has chosen to reveal himself through his word, Jesus Christ and through his word, the Bible so that we can know in some small way this amazing God that is beyond all comprehension. Because our God desires to have a relationship with us he sent his son Jesus and because of all of this I have hope that I will spend eternity in the presence of our Almighty God. If the Bible cannot be trusted from the first word, what part can I trust?
After the conversation was over, I left and I cried. Not because the conversation was hard, in fact this time around, I didn't say much, I just listened, but because I think I finally have an inkling of what God feels when we look at his creation and yet ignore Him and how he has revealed himself, and when we allow our intelligence to take the place of His...and so I cried.

1 Corinthians 1:17-25
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel - not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of it's power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:
" I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." Isaiah 64:4
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

I've been praying for opportunities now to share Christ and share the hope that I have in Him. I already know that this man thinks I'm foolish, so I have no fear there, I'm praying for the words to express this hope and this joy that I have in Jesus Christ. That I will find a receptive and willing-to-listen audience in my friend, for he does love to talk and argue, and that I will be bold when that opportunity arrives. Please pray in this with me.

2 comments:

Macaroo42 said...

I hear you, Em, I totally hear you. I was really encouraged this week during a talk on the Tabernacle in John (you'd love it-- way cool) to remember that those with whom we seek to share Jesus are suffering from blindness. Serious spiritual blindness. It's entrenched, and, in some cases, total. But we have a weapon: we can bind blindness in the name of Jesus and ask the Father to open their eyes, either during the present conversation or later on. Booyah!

Mama Griffith, said...

Somtimes it is good to moarn the lost, it reminds us what it feels like to be found