Thursday, March 13, 2014

New Bed (Again)

I have been attempting to build things for as long as I can remember. Somewhere about the 4-5th grade my neighbor Diane and I built our own playhouse from scraps of lumber her dad brought home from his construction jobs. Alas, I have no pictures of our mansion but I'm assuming it looked a lot like this:


These would be my own kids occupying our front yard. 

Like I said, I have been attempting to build things for years but now I finally feel like I might be getting good at this. 

Erik received his "fire check" at the end of November and let me have a little bit of it for my very own spending money.  I did a little calculating and decided that I could make a dining room table or a headboard/footboard for our bed but I couldn't do both. 

I went with the bed.

I took these basic plans from AnaWhite, modified them for my bed, room and previously built storage frame; bought my lumber and got to work. 

I used basic pine and standard lumber and sanded everything like crazy. My dad helped hold things together so I could glue and nail the pieces and helped with some drilling and attaching of the 4x4 legs.

Then I applied a wood conditioner/pre-stain and then stained the bed. 

I let it dry for a few days in our upstairs (we almost have an upstairs house!) and then let it finish drying in the kitchen before I moved it to our room and set everything up. 


Want to see the finished bed? 

Isn't it lovely?! 
I'm pretty stinkin' proud of this project.



1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Wow! Great work! Super impressed! And super stinkin' proud of you, too!